Saturday, December 20, 2008

About Ayla's Operation

THE BIG THING: There have been some questions and surprize about Ayla's 2nd spay operation. Since she is a little uncertain about all this, she asked me to explain a bit...

1. Summary: When I originally arranged to adopt Ayla (nee Isabel), the nice cattery lady (Heather) said she would have that done the day I was to pick Ayla up. I was pleased, because that saved me both the trouble and expense. Ayla was spayed in January 2008.

A few weeks later, Ayla went into heat. My vet and the operating vet both said that can sometimes happen a few times after a spay operation. When the 3rd heat cycle occurred in April, I contacted my vet for an exam to confirm that Ayla was indeed in heat and not suffering some other problem. A test confirmed the hormonal cycles were continuing.

When I contacted the operating vet, he suggested waiting one more time, but did say that if it continued he would do a followup operation at no cost. When she went into heat again in May, the operating vet was off doing international charity vet work.

Ayla was relatively calm during the Summer (one heat cycle in July), so I thought it was fading away finally. Her heat cycles resumed every 3 weeks in early October...

By that time, I was focussed on Skeeter's worsening kidney problem and the behavioral difficulties that followed from that. I should add that both vets had suggested very little possibility of success in a followup spay operation.

The day after Skeeter went over The Bridge, Ayla went into heat again I contemplated the idea of going through that for the next 15 years and started doing some research. To my surprize, reputable websites generally said that a followup spay operation is routiely successful. I contacted the operating vet a few days later (my own vet was reluctant to followup on another vet's surgery).

The original operating vet was surprized to hear that Ayla was still going into heat, but agreed at once to do the followup operation. Though his staff failed to return my calls to arrange a visit, I reached the vet on his cell phone at 6 a.m. the planned operation day and he agreed to see her first thing. His office is an hour's drive away. So I had to grab Ayla and drive off fast.

Ayla had her operation, and the vet, knowing I was just killing time far from home, returned her too me in 3 hours. I drove Ayla home, but she had to stay in the cat carrier until the anasthesia wore off. We will have to wait and see if the followup operation was successful.

The vet did find what he thinks is a tiny amount of ovarian tissue. Interestingly, he also found an undisolved "disolvable" suture from the original operation.

2. About the operating vet... The operating vet seems unusually experienced. He has performed about 75,000 spay/neuter operations nationally and internationally, and mostly for charity and animal shelters. He says there have been 5 times that he knows of where the spay operation didn't work. I googled him and he seems to have a sterling reputation. My own vet said that he himself has performed about 25,000 spay/neuter operations and 3 have not worked. And he says followup operations were not successful.

3. Options... The operating vet is researching pharmacutical solutions in case the followup surgery doesn't work. My vet mentioned to me last Spring that such are available but "dangerous". If it comes to that, it will matter whether "dangerous" means a 5% chance of problems or a 50% chance of problems. But we aren't at that point yet...

.

14 comments:

Evie/VampyVictor said...

OH wow, I have never heard of that but all your information is very thorough and I can see you have researched well :)
Thank you for taking the time to post about it, it is very unusual and stops the mind wondering why :)
I is going to puur my little heart out that it has worked this time for puretty Ayla :))

Ifs she is anything like my Mushka was before she was desexed.. oh boy! It would send you nutty! :)

V-V

Alasandra said...

We are hoping Ayla's operation is a success and no more heat. Thank you for explaining everything to us Big Thing, we may need to know this someday. ~S,S & C

Everycat said...

I hope it was that tiny bit of ovarian tissue and the vet got it all this time. Even just a few ovarian cells can cause females to cycle intermmitently. Paws crossed for this last op!

Whicky

Cory said...

Wow, I learned a lot today. Thank you! Hope Ayla is ok now and has forgiven you for everything!

Cheysuli and gemini said...

It's been eons but the Woman does recall one cat that we had to do the spay on a second time because she went back into heat. We didn't make the people wait nearly as long as you did (what patience you have). However they did find a bit of tissue outside the normal area.

We had one male cat that had a third testicle that didn't drop when it should have and so we had to go in and do a special surgery to remove that for the people as well.

Things happen.

This should help with Ayla's problem--it's amazing what just a small amount of tissue can do.

Daisy said...

How interesting! I sure hope this does the trick for Ayla!

Parker said...

Wow, just wow!
I really hope this time it works!

The Island Cats said...

We've never heard of this happening but it doesn't surprise us...we've heard that this can sometimes happen to male cat too...

We hope Ayla is okay and that this surgery is successful...

Jan's Funny Farm said...

Wow, that is sure news to Jan. She has never heard of this before and is glad she has never had this happen to one of her cats.

We're sorry Ayla has to go through this. It can't be much fun for any of you. We really hope this operation is successful and she won't have to take hormones.

Quasi said...

Poor little Ayla -- but this will probably work, and she's home now. I hope you all have a great holiday and a happy new year!

Angus Mhor said...

So, sometimes a flower can be left behind after a ladygardenectomy-hmmm. Whodathunk? I sure hope that this one 100% successful and Little Miss Ayla doesn't have to deal with that stuff any more!

Kaz's Cats said...

Thanks for explaining things, Big Thing. For Ayla's sake, we sure hope that this operation works properly, and that she doesn't need any hormones. Sending purrs to all of you,

Gypsy & Tasha

Riley & Tiki said...

We hope it worked this time. You are the most patient bean ever. Vincent Who Came Before also had a suture that didn't dissolve. It was from one of his cancer surgeries, so they had to take it out and biopsy it just in case. Turns out it didn't dissolve because he had grown a calcium deposit around it (not cancer). The other sutures all went away on their own including ones from later surgeries, so hopefully it is only the one time for Ayla too. We hope she is already feeling better.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.