Monday, April 13, 2009

A Gone Neighbor Kitty

THE BIG THING: I noticed a neighbor digging up the soil around his driveway and figured he was planting something, so I went over to ask about it. It turned out he was widening the end of his driveway with concrete.

But since I was there I asked about his cat Petey. Petey is a very friendly cat. He always comes over for scritches when I am working in the front yard. I hadn't seen him for a couple of months. Well it was Winter, and I wasn't working in the front yard much.

He said Petey developed a lung fluid problem and had to be "let go" 2 weeks before Christmas, December 10th. Wow, December 10th was the same day I had to help Skeeter over The Bridge! That was a hard day for cats all over. And 2 in adjacent houses...

Petey had a hard start in life. He was hit by a car as a kitten and came home with his head all messed up. It was terrible but I'll spare you the details. I'll just say it took some good vet work to make him look "right" again. In spite of that, he preferred to stay outdoors most of the time. But I noticed he always looked both ways very carefully before crossing the street.

The guy wasn't the cat person, the woman was. I will have to let her know about this sad coincidence the next time I see her... She buried Petey the same way I buried Skeeter. In his favorite spot, with a small marker.

I miss Skeeter, of course. But I miss Petey, too. I'm glad I gave Petey lots of good attention the last time I saw him in late November while cleaning up the yard for the Winter...

Memories are everywhere...

6 comments:

Gattina said...

What a sad coincidence !

Cheysuli and gemini said...

That is a very sad coincidence. We are sad to learn about Petey. There are some cats who are just so friendly that you miss them even when they are not yours.

Jan's Funny Farm said...

That is sad news. Who could have guessed Petey and Skeeter would leave together.

DaisyMae Maus said...

Perhaps Skeeter met Petey again at the Bridge an' they're together now? Things are always much easier with a friend to guide the way ...
DMM

Sunny's Mommy said...

That is sad news about your neighbor kittie Petey :( And a very sad coincidence he went to the bridge the same day as beloved Skeeter.

The Crew said...

How sad.