Wednesday, July 01, 2009

Addiction Canned Food 2

THE BIG THING: This morning, I tried mixing 25% of the Venison flavor with one of the standards. LC and Ayla ate a small amount and Iza ate a 1/2 bowl, though she kept walking away and returning to it. It was clear she was hungry, but didn't like the Addiction Venison added to the regular food. She made covering pawings at the bowl. I relented and gave them some regular unmixed Friskies. They ate it all.

Tonight, I tried the "King Salmon&Potatoes" flavor on the cats. None of them would eat the least bit of it.


Again, I tried adding a 25% to their regular stuff. No go! Not even a few licks. That surprised me, I figured salmon would be a hit. After a half hour of begging from them, I rinsed out the bowls and gave them pure "regular". Friskies Turkey and Giblets this time... They licked the bowls clean.

It might be the strange vegetables mixed with the meat. What cat wants to eat apples or potato?

Two flavors down, two to go. I think I will wait a few days to try the others... I still have 1 of each Addiction flavor and I have an idea. I will buy individual cans of other "primo" (expensive) brands and see if they fare any better with the cats. And I will use a standard chicken flavor of Friskies to mix it with each time.

Well, maybe they are all just addicted to Friskies... ;) At least that would be a control factor to the experiment.

But so far, the Addiction canned foods are not popular here.

6 comments:

Cheysuli and gemini said...

We had the wild flavors and we were not at all fond of them. I am surprised that some cats don't like them--I mean if Iza eats anything you'd think she would like one of those!

Max said...

Oddly, we loved each flavor with the 1st can, but not the 2nd. Buddah still loves the vishus deer crunchy food, though.

Alasandra said...

Socks likes lettuce. Mommy gives him some when she makes salads, and we all love pumpkin. So it may not be the vegetables. Fenris eats anything so..........

We all have our favourite meats here and we all have at least one meat we will not eat. Mommy says our pickiness gives her a headache. ~S,S, C & F

Camie's Kitties said...

We are sorry that the food experiment isn't going well. Mom got us evo beef, and only Miss Jade (and Camie) will eat it. We take a bit or two and walk away, and then complain to mom all night that we are still hungry. Mom won't trade it right away for us. She lets Camie eat it the next day, and gives us what we want. She keeps trying it tho - you would think she would get that we just don't like it.

Tavi, Cody, Camie, Miss Jade and Gracie

Daisy said...

It might just take a more gradual transition until you like the food. When I first switched to the raw diet, I REFUSED to eat even 1/2 teaspoonful mixed into my regular foods. My Mommie kept trying and eventually I tasted it. Then she kept increasing the amount until I was switched completely over; it took about 2 weeks. But now, I LOVE my new food and RACE downstairs to get my food.

Jan's Funny Farm said...

Hmmmm. We liked the Addiction food. Or most of us did. We did have a couple of picky eaters on 2 flavors but we all loved the salmon. Guess it's a matter of what you're used to. We're not used to getting canned food, so it's a real treat for us.