Wednesday, July 08, 2009

Food Review Experiment

THE BIG THING: OK, I have other "Primo" canned cat foods to test along side of the Addiction cans.


On the Addiction side is "Brushtail&Vegetables", "Unagi&Seaweed", "Salmon&Potatoes", and "Venison&Apples".

The other contenders are: "Pro Plan Ocean Whitefish&Salmon", "Nature Salmon, Mackeral, and Sardine", "AvoDerm Ocean Fish", "Blue Spa Select Turkey and Chicken", "IAMS Turkey and Chicken", "Hill's Science Diet Seafood Entree", "Authority Chicken and Lamb", and "Natural Choice Chicken and Lamb".

I will try them each night with a small pure portion of each first , mix it with 75% mixture of regular Friskies Chicken flavor if they don'r like it "pure", and give them pure regular if they don't eat the mix. Don't worry, no cats will go hungry by only being given something they don't like to eat.

The purpose here is to see what they LIKE to eat; not what they are WILLING to eat if starving. I wouldn't do that to them. If we waste a bunch of food for a couple weeks, well that's life. At least I will know what they PREFER to eat.

And I plan to try to incorporate a few home-made foods into the process if I find any good recipes. A local newspaper vet has a recipe for home-made cat foods that would take hours to find all the ingredients for (my area is not big on health-food stores that carry the weird ingredients), but I see no reason I can't try them on poached chicken breasts all minced up, hamburger, ground lamb, and squished whitefish.

Oh my, I seem to be talking myself into a more complicated feeding arrangement than I expected. I better hold off on the REAL MEAT food til later...

I'll stick with the canned food comparison for now...

6 comments:

Cheysuli and gemini said...

If you are looking for raw pet foods (ie real food) if you have a Whole Foods store you can buy frozen parts that are already mixed. Also there are places online that you can buy them and have them shipped. Additionally there are some places where you can just get ground meat (regular store) and mix in the mix to make sure they are getting all nutrients. The mix is dry (we can look up the name if you like) so it would keep in the mailing.

Camie's Kitties said...

We are looking forward to reading the reviews and what they like and don't like.

Tavi, Cody, Camie, Miss Jade and Gracie

The Creek Cats said...

Can't wait for the reviews! We purrsonally enjoy the addiction unagi and seaweed and salmon and sweet potatoes!
Blue Spa is also yummy!

Daisy said...

If you are considering trying raw food, you can also look into pre-prepared raw medallions. We eat Nature's Variety. All you have to do is take a 1-2 day serving out of the freezer and put them in your refrigerator in a ziploc bag so they are thawed for the next day. It's real delicious! The hard part is finding a local place that sells it. We have 2 places less than 5 miles away that sell it.

Alasandra said...

Well the very bad wicked little kitties at my house don't care for the Winn Dixie brand catfood so I guess I'll be getting some Chicken Soup to mix with it. They love that brand. ~Alasandra

DesertRose said...

Plain cooked chicken all minced up is kitty birthday cake in my house. Tessa gets hers on March 10 every year (she was born in 2006, and I was there to see it), and Sweetie Pie gets hers on May 10 (2007, but that date is an estimate; Sweetie Pie adopted us when she was about four months old).