Wednesday, November 11, 2009

In Search Of...

The dreaded "stool sample"...

THE BIG THING: I had to bring LC to the vet for the annual exam and shots and could not get a stool sample I was sure was hers. They said I could bring one in later. I don't mean to be indelicate, but it's difficult with LC. She prefers to go outside, but she stays on the deck for hours before she slips into the woods to "do her business" and then she is back on the deck again.

I try to watch her when she leaves the deck, but I never catch her in the act. It is difficult to provide the vet with a "sample" to test for whatever they test for...

I closed LC in the Guest bedroom all night Friday and Sunday. No poops! It just kills me to enclose her that way. She has now been in the Guest bedroom for 48 hours (visiting her often for scritches, attention, and litterbox checks). But no poop. She has been eating the dry food, the canned food, and drinking water.

I have held her, encouraged her to the litterbox, told her she will get LOTS of treats if she poops, etc, but no "output".

Any suggestions? I'm going to call the vet in the morning and ask for suggestions... But that is 10 hours away and I'm worried I am causing health problems. But a stool sample analysis is important.

Any suggestions or guidance deeply appreciated...

Update 9:30 a.m. : LC has achieved "launch", LOL! I'm heading out to do some shopping, so I will deliver it to the vet on the way. Thanks for the suggestions...

10 comments:

The Island Cats said...

Our vet asks for a stool sample too but mom rarely takes one in 'cuz she can never get a "fresh" one. So, honestly, we haven't had our poops checked in a long while....

Jan's Funny Farm said...

Good luck.

Cory said...

With so many of us mom is never really sure, but in locking us in a room...what goes in must eventually come out. Hopefully LC is not holding it it and becoming constipated.

Karen Jo said...

Do you suppose that if you gave LC just a little cod liver oil that might speed things up? I really don't know much about it and I wouldn't want to suggest anything that might have bad consequences.

Angus Mhor said...

Tuna oil-or the oil that's in a can of oil-packed tuna-may bring "results". It won't hurt her and she'll like taking her physick!

Alasandra said...

We are guessing she is trying to hold her poops until she has a chance to go outside. Sorry we don't know how to convince her not to. ~S,S,C & F

Alasandra said...

We are guessing she is trying to hold her poops until she has a chance to go outside. Sorry we don't know how to convince her not to. ~S,S,C & F

The Meezers said...

Canned pumpkin might work.

LC, Ayla, and Iza said...

I agree that she was probably trying to wait to go outside. Fortunately, she could not wait indefinitely... ;)

The Big Thing

Cat of Nine Tales said...

Very funny!! I'm glad you finally had success.
With nine kitties, our vet usually wants one sample and counts it for everyone.
I hope the test results are good.
~Lisa Co9T