Thursday, December 10, 2009

One Year Gone...


THE BIG THING: Been one whole year today since Skeeter went over The Bridge. Exactly at this post time of 3:45 pm.  I won't forget the day and I won't forget the time.

A sad day of memories... I still think of him often. I have been fortunate to have many good kitties in my long life and I have loved them all, but there has never been one like you, Skeeter. And there will never be another like you again.

From your first days asleep beside a small remote:


To your last (falling over as you tried to find the litterbox) and I knew the terrible truth that day:

 
And all the wonderful days of your prime in between:



On this day, I most especially miss you Skeeter.

It is hard to describe the differences between Skeeter and the other wonderful cats I have had in my life. It is mostly a matter of degree. But by any measurement, be it it friendliness, bed-compatible, lapness, easy-going-ness, satisfied by any food, attentive, mouse-hunting, utter handsomeness, kind to and wonderful Big Brother to other cats, even general life-long health; he was the top winner in all categories.

My dear friend, if I could have you back again from the first day and for many years, I would gladly give up a year of my life...  You would enrich all the other years so much, it would be worth it.

Skeeter, I'm glad you are having fun over The Bridge at the forever prime age of 5. I will join you there one day, my friend. I will find a place to sit, you will hop up on my lap, and I will scritch and stroke you into happy unconciousness as in days of old when you went completely limp and oblivious to the scary world, safe in my arms.

And you and I will meet again all the kitties of my life...  You will stand closest to me, and they will understand and not be offended in any way.

I won't be there very soon, Skeeter. I have other kitties to care for (one you never even met and maybe others in the future), and a life to finish living for a while. But I will will be there one day, my friend...

On this anniversary of the minute of your departure from my world, I remember you.  And until we meet again, all I have is this:


Memories of you, a small physical reminder, and old photos...

The Big Thing

22 comments:

TT said...

My eyes are certainly crying for you too! Skeeter will always be loved. I am with you on the memories, not a day that goes by do I not think of TT.

(((hugs)))

Mom Laure

Daisy said...

I think we all understand about extra-special cats that touch our souls. Soft purrs to you on this anniversary.

Furkidsmom said...

We've got leaky eyes after reading this beautiful post. Purrs to you today.

Sniffie and the Florida Furkids

Junior and Orion said...

Oh gosh....what a wonderful tribute. That has brought tears to all our eyes. Sending you hugs and gentle headbutts.

Alasandra said...

Oh, TBT my heart goes out to you. ~Alasandra

Sending hugs and headbutts. ~Socks & Scylla

Not sure if you would like them but if you would you can have some puppy licks, they seem to make Mommy feel better. ~Fenris

Cheysuli and gemini said...

Every now and then a particularly wonderful cats just leaves paw prints all of your heart. Our orange Iggy cat was that way--maybe it's orange cats?! We know that Skeeter is doing well over the bridge and having fun. Georgia tells us what is up over there.

Purrs

Chey and Gemini

Catline Crew said...

What a lovely tribute. My heart goes out to you. Let your memories will bring you comfort today.

loki said...

Very lovely tribute!

Loki

Brian said...

That was such a loving tribute, sure made my whiskers weepy wet. Thanks so much for sharing with us.

Tyler said...

That last picture of Skeeter made my moms eyes wet and leaky. She remembers when my big sis got old and skinny before she went to The Bridge. She misses her lots too. I remember reading about Skeeter. He WAS pawsome.

We wanted to tell you that the number on our condo is different by one number than the one you wrote in the comments on my blog. We're still at the same ol place, but the numbers are 5441.

I can't wait to get your card, Girls. I'm gonna dance on my mom's eyebrows to reminder her to get our cards in the mails. Noserubs to all of you who are missing Skeeter. By the way, how did he get his name? Did he buzz in people's ears at night?

Teri and the cats of Furrydance said...

We all understand and know how one cat can be the "Heart" cat in your life. Bo was that to me, but because of the love I had with him, I can love again...but he will always hold that special place in my heart.

William said...

Lots of purrs to you, TBT...

Spitty-the-Kitty said...

Aw, TBT, that is a real nice story about Skeeter. Mom says she wishes all her kitties could live forever, but then she sniffs a little and says she knows they'll all be at the Bridge waiting, especially Mr. Teeth, her great big gray boy.

I'm sending you big purrs today, TBT. I hope those girls are being extra-specially nice to you.

cyclone cats said...

our mama's eyes are leaking and leaking.

has it really been a year? we didn't realize Skeeter was only 5....

The Meezers said...

our the mom's eyes is leaking. very very beautiful tribute MrBigThing

The Island Cats said...

Oh what a touching post...it made our mom eyes leak...Skeeter sure was special....

Sylvester, Camille and Ava said...

We all hate to say goodby to our friends and family in the end, I know both he and you would have stayed together forever if it were possible. its even harder when the bond is so deep, we're shedding quiet tears for your loss, but everything turns out for the better in time.. no matter how bad it gets.

Milo and Alfie's MOM said...

Milo and Alfie's mom speaks:

(((((hugs)))))) I can barely believe it is a year since skeeter went to the Bridge. How quickly time passes. I so understand that special bond ~ I had it with my cat Henry (1985 ~ 2004). It's not that you love other cats less ~ it is just an undefineable special link from your heart. it never fades ~ Henry has been gone 5 years now and I still weep for losing him.

I read this recently and wanted to share it with you:

Where to Bury A Cat
There are various places within which a cat may be buried. We are thinking now of a tabby cat, a striped cat, whose coat was like watered silk, and who, so far as we are aware, never entertained a mean or an unworthy thought. This cat is buried beneath a cherry tree, under four feet of garden loam, and at its proper season the cherry strews petals on the green lawn of his grave. Beneath a cherry tree, or an apple, or any flowering shrub of the garden, is an excellent place to bury a good cat. For beneath such trees, such shrubs, he slept in the drowsy summer, or chased bees, or lifted head to challenge some winged intruder. These are good places, in life or in death. For if the cat be well remembered, if sometimes he leaps through your dreams actual as in life, eyes kindling, questing, asking, laughing, begging, it matters not at all where that cat sleeps at long and at last. On a hill where the wind is unrebuked and the trees are roaring, or beside a stream he knew in kittenhood, or somewhere in the flatness of a pasture land, where the most exhilarating moles burrow. It is all one to the cat, and all one to you, and nothing is gained, and nothing lost -- if memory lives. But there is one best place to bury a cat. One place that is best of all. If you bury him in this spot, the secret of which you must already have guessed, he will come to you when you call -- come to you over the grim, dim frontiers of death, and down the well-remembered path, and to your side again. And though you call a dozen living cats, they shall not hiss at him, nor resent his coming, for he is yours and he belongs there. People may scoff at you, who see no lightest blade of grass bent by his footfall, who hear no mew pitched too fine for mere audition, people who may never really have had a cat. Smile at them then, for you shall know something that is hidden from them, and which is well worth the knowing. The one best place to bury a good cat is in the heart of his owner.
By Ben Hur Lampman, Portland Oregonian, 1921

Goldie, Shade and Banshee said...

What a wonderful tribute for a very special cat. We are all teary, even the wee ones as the PM read them your post.

We all hope to be so loved.

Purrs and {{hugs}},
Goldie, Shade and Banshee

Max said...

Skeeter was the most awesome of doods, and I will never forget him. I can only hope my people will miss me someday as much as you miss him.

LC, Ayla, and Iza said...

Thank you, each and every one...

Cory said...

That was so special and sweet. We are all leaky eyed reading this. Skeeter was a wonderful cat, friend, son, buddy...and he is with you always.