Friday, January 08, 2010

We're Back

THE BIG THING:  At least the computer is working "temporarily"...

The computer was not repaired.  It works, but the fan is on high speed constantly and I fear the whole thing will die completely at any moment.

The problem is that I smoke.  I did not realize the damage that was causing to the computer.  I did a search on "Macs and cigarette smoke" and learned WHY it was such a problem.  Apple techs will not work on smoke-affected computers by official Apple policy.  Reading about the problem, I don't terribly blame them.  The details of the sad adventure are HERE

So, I have ordered a Mac Mini to replace the Mac Pro (which was WAY more computer than I needed).  It has a 500 GB hard drive, 4 GB memory, a 2.5 mhz chip, etc.  I have the entire Mac Pro hard drive backed up on an external drive, so I shouldn't be losing any files, apps, or emails.

And I won't smoke after it arrives.  This may all actually work out for the best.

I turn this back over to the cats tomorrow...

6 comments:

Cheysuli and gemini said...

Good luck to you! We hope things work out better next time. I had no idea that apples and smoking didn't go together--not that we smoke here but it's something that's really not generally known and should be!

William said...

Grrr...I would never deal with a company that had such a policy. What next--no having nip in the house if you have a Mac?

The Island Cats said...

Well...every cloud has a silver lining...we hope this works out for you!

Teri and the cats of Furrydance said...

A good incentive to stop puffin! I have a Mac mini, like a 06 version and it's fine for what I use it for...

Max said...

Yep, Apple has been declaring computers owned by smokers to be a warranty violation...and I hate smoking but that shoulda been stated up front, ya know? Not something they get surprised with.

I hope quitting doesn't suck too hard...in the long run it'll be better for you and the kitties, but I hear it's not easy.

Cat with a Garden said...

All we hear is that you smoke. That is very yucky, isn't it? Mom told us that she smoked for years but quit a long time before us. Well, she better! It is really hard to quit, but the harder the less likely to fall back. We are very proud of you to stop smoking. That's the best decision!