Friday, April 16, 2010

The Mows Gone?

THE BIG THING:  One of the high points of my pre-retirement days (before March 2006) was checking the online "The Mows" comic strip by Jay Dyke (and a couple other weird anime ones) and reading Max The PsychoKitty's blog.  Max and the "Not Ready For Prime Time" comic strips helped get me through the day. They were both weird and I needed "non-office weird" very much.  The office was killing me...


But what I want to say is that I had a friend who lost his dear cat of many years.  The cat was a hero.  He had been involved in many adventures around the farm.  I emailed Jay Dyke to ask him if he might mention "BD".  I knew it would mean so much to my friend.

Jay came through beyond my expectations!  I had hoped for a slight mention of BD as a side reference somewhere at best, but here is what he put online for all the world to know:




And every word was true!


I read in sadness the short series of posts when Tigey actually died.  I saw it coming, saw the loss, and felt the pain. We all feel the pain of losing a dear kittie friend.  Jan felt it no less than any of us.  We do it in words; he was able to do it in pictures.  I felt so sad, yet understanding, the way he lost Tigey.

If Jan has decided to stop, I understand.  But I will miss The Mows if he does.


I hope that he will continue his obvious love of cats by adopting a new one, a new subject to explore in art and words.   But if it is too difficult, I will understand. 


UPDATE:  It seems Jan has posted a new Mows this very day!  Maybe he is continuing.  He has a blog, http://jaydyke.blogspot.com/ It also seems he has some other cats now.

12 comments:

Max said...

I am so bummed...the Mows has been one of the first things I've checked online every day for YEARS. I even got all weepy when the real Tigey died and when I found out Indy went away. I'm gonna miss their cartoon counterparts a lot, but I know J is really busy with other things...

Cory said...

This is the first time I've heard of the Mows. I'm sure we'd all love it. Thanks for introducing me to it!

The Island Cats said...

We never heard of the Mows but it sure looks like a good cartoon! It was very nice what Jay did for your friend's cat, BD.

Zippy, Sadie and Speedy said...

Oh, we saw dat cartoon at "the mows" but didn't realize it was about a real cat! And a real cat dat was a frend of our frends dat made it our frend too...if yoo can unnerstand dat. We sure is gonna miss dem.

Brian said...

We hadn't heard of them either, but that sounds really cool!

Spitty-the-Kitty said...

I didn't know about the Mows till yesterday but it looks like a cool comic!

Hey, Iza & Ayla, thanks for stopping by the blog. The Womun is still pretty dumb about posting on it, but since I have no thumbs I'll have to accept her s-l-o-w learning curve ;-)

Jacqueline said...

We're very sorry to hear about the loss of BD and Tigey, obviously beloved kitties...It was very kind of you and Mr. Dyke to pay tribute to BD through the comic strip...We've never heard of The Mows, but we'd would like to check it out...xo...Calle, Halle, Sukki

DaisyMae Maus said...

You introduced us to The Mows an' we'll miss it, too. Good luck to Jay Dyke an' a big thanks for the laughter an' the thought-provokin' strips, too.
DMM

Lone Star Purrs said...

We don't a'memebr HOW we found The Mows, but they "led" us to PsychoKitty Max's blog, which finally led to owr own blog. We miss reading them.
::purrs::
~Meeko & Kiara

Parker said...

What a great honor to BD.

Daisy said...

Oh, gosh, I wish I had known of The Mows before it was too late. I just went there and read the comic today; it was so touching. I wish it would continue.

THE ZOO said...

That was really nice of Jay. I understand hes stopping the Mows. I love them and cried when Tigey died like he was my own. We read any Mows he publishes. Ill continue reading the older ones. Im like Daisy, I wish it would continue.