Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Is Her Name Pudge or Plunge?

THE BIG THING:    I'm sorry, but I gotta say... 

Iza and I were out in the yard today, and Iza got it in her mind to run up a tree.  Not a big tree like Ayla likes, but a small tree with lots of branches close together.  It's her best practicing tree.

And I will admit that I didn't have a camera with me.  But I had to laugh.  She went right up the tree farther then ever before.  10' high! 

And she didn't know what to do when she got up there! 

She looked all around and tried to turn around on several small branches.  She almost fell out of the tree doing that..

Then she tried to walk down the sloping branches head first.  She almost fell out again, but caught herself on a side branch.  You've seen that iconic cat poster...
That was Iza!  Trust me, her claws are as sharp as Ayla's, so that wasn't the problem.
Ayla can give lessons to squirrels about climbing around a tree.  But the squirrels were laughing at Iza!  She finally managed to SLIDE down one branch head-first until she was about 3' above ground.  Then she simply "dropped".

She did land on her feet. But it seems she went right down onto her belly.  She basically just "flumped" onto the ground.  And she looked grateful for the landing.

I love Iza dearly, but she is never going to be an acrobaticat like Ayla!

But in recompense, I will say that Iza is the most agile toy mouser I've ever seen.  She can keep toy mousies in the air like a person with a badminton racket.  She is really quite remarkable that way.  With her feet on the ground, she's good.

But in a tree?  She is about as graceful as a groundhog (and I saw a groundhog in my mulberry tree once and it basically "flumped" off too when I approached it).

At least Ayla didn't see it...

AYLA:  I saw it from the window...  I almost fell off the windersill laffin!

13 comments:

Amy and The House of Cats said...

We can kind of understand - we don't get to go outside, so we don't climb trees, but some of us think they are more agile then they really are. Poor Iza - she is just one of the ground cats. And Ayla don't laugh at her too much. We get you need to laugh a little bit but too much would just be mean.

Pierro said...

Yeah, we're wth amy on this one. Miles and I do not go out, but I am more agile than Miles! Believe it or not, Miles is just a big lug and not as good a jumper as I am!
It is good that you are there to spot eachother.
bonkbonk

Alasandra said...

MOL!!!!!!!

We wasn't going to tells but Artemisia fell out of a tree once. The Mom & Dad were afraid she was hurt, but she was OK. We thinks her pride was hurt cause it was a very undignified exit from a tree. So you are in good company Iza.

~AFSS

PS: Mommy was signed it and we didn't realize it till now. We hates it when that happens.

William said...

Poor Iza! I haven't been in a tree since I was tiny tiny, and I haven't missed it one bit!

The Island Cats said...

Well, Iza doesn't have as much experience as you, Ayla, when it comes to tree climbing. You should cut her some slack!!

Shaggy, Scooby and Scout said...

Well Iza what got into you??
Not the most graceful exit from the tree, but hey, you got down on your own!!
At least TBT didn't have to call the fire department!

Jacqueline said...

Mommy used to have a cat named Jax who would climb on the neighbor's roof and hang out; he would cry when he was ready to get down and Mommy used to drag the ladder next door and get him down!...We're sure you loved getting up there, sweet Iza, but we bet it's kind of scary once you try to get down=we've never climbed a real tree (only our cat trees), so we are impressed with your brave attempt and no matter how graceful or not, you did get down on your own!!...Kisses, beautiful girls...Calle, Halle, Sukki

Spitty-the-Kitty said...

Ha ha ha ha ha! That is a great description. Loor sweetie!

It's kinda ironic that the kitteh that IS allowed to go outside is too clumsy to really appreciate the experience!

Spitty-the-Kitty said...

Oops....POOR sweetie!

Sparkle the Designer Cat said...

I am sure Iza was much relieved that you did not have your camera! Imagine those pics being spread throughout the cat blogosphere! That's almost as bad as those costumes we were forced to wear.

Millie said...

That's a cute story! Jasmine could rear up on her hind legs and stay balanced like that for quite a while. She could knock Gizzy over Every. Single. Time. It was one of the things SHE was terrific at.

The Meezers or Billy said...

oh Iza, it's ok. I kind of "flump" when I jump off the windowsill. - Miles

THE ZOO said...

we're laffin and laffin.