Thursday, January 27, 2011

About Marley

IZA:  OK, I wasnt sure about this new boycat at first, but we are gettin along pretty good.  He is playful like me!  Ayla isnt so happy about him, but thats HER problem.

Me, I like him.  We have tried out wrasslin.  He isnt anny good at it, but he'll learn.  He taps me on the side or back sometimes.  He isnt big enuf yet ta make a fair game of it.  TBT says "maybe a year".  But he is cute an he tries.  I could use some competition.  Ayla is just too small.  And he DID pounce me from the ottoman yesserday, so hes got potential.

I love the way he plays wif toys a lot like I do, an we did bat a ball back an forth a bit today.  The new kid is a "comer".  I'll know more over the next few weeks.

And I am happy to report that Ayla didn't hiss at him a single time today!

THE BIG THING:  I don't know a lot about Marley's past, and I probably never will know the details.  I know that he grew up in a shelter and seems to have gotten good vet treatment.  He seems to have been born about August 16th and first received shelter vet care in October.  He was adopted out about Christmas Day as a gift at a PetsMart.

My own vet gave him a A+ on his physical condition.  He's been neutered.  He has had only dry food all his life, but is adjusting to our premium canned foods both well (digestically) and enthusiastically.  I've been giving him the poultry stuff Ayla and Iza love, but I have fishie flavors left over from LC's days and I will start trying him on those next week.  If he likes them, he will get more.  If not, we will stick to poultry flavors and the other cans will go to a shelter.

He went from the shelter to a very nice and loving lady here in my small town.  He was her first cat and she discovered (sadly) that she was VERY allergic.  So she sought a better home for him.  There were 2 interested parties for adopting him.  I'm sure the other one would have been good too, but I convinced her I was the better place.  I AM persuasive...  ;)

He is named after Bob Marley, a musician.  I don't know him well, but I know "of" him.  But it's a nice name regardless.  I might change it after some discussions with him, but probably not.  "Marley" sounds cool.  And there are good possiblities with the name.  "Gnarly-Marley".  Or if eating cat grass. "Barley-Marley",  Or if riding a motorcycle, "Harley-Marley".  LOL!    Ok, I'm lame with names...

Good thing, too.  Ayla and Iza got their names from the book 'Clan of the Cave Bear'.  The male names sound too weird.  "Creb".  "Brun".  "Durc".  Time to find better names.  I think "Marley" is a good one.

Sorry I couldn't get any pictures that applied to the post.  I used up all the vet pictures yesterday.  Some tomorrow on the cat tree...

REMINDER!  Hugo The Traveling Hippo needs a new place to visit. 
He comes with a note/photo book, souvenir pouch to add too, and toys and treats for the hosts...  Contact us if you are interested in having Hugo visit you.  He is a great visitor and converses well with both kitties and Beins!

12 comments:

Katnip Lounge said...

We like the name Marley a TON! It suits him, and his purrsonality.
Iza, we're so happy you and him are playing...next comes snuggling and washing. Ayla will learn from you and follow your lead...maybe you'll all do nap piles next winter!

Megan said...

TBT - I don't recall that you've said in any of your posts why you were interested in taking on a third cat. And what was it about Marley in particular that attracted you?

Megan
Sydney, Australia

Ayla, Iza, and Marley said...

Megan, that's a hard question to answer. The short answer is that I loved him at first sight.

The long answer is that I missed Skeeter, and Marley looked so much like him. Don't worry, I know Marley is not Skeeter. He is is own cat and will develop his own personality.

But I will admit it WAS partly for appearance. I love seeing an orange/white cat. After Skeeter was gone 2 years, I became very desirous of having another orange/white male cat.

If I had said "Oh I just love love Siamese. or "I just love Russian Blues", no one would think that strange.

But having another orange/white cat suggests a connection to the previous one.

I admit it freely. I WAS careful not to give him a similar name to Skeeter. Skater, Skooter, and Skeeter2 all came to mind. But "no".

Marley gets to have his own life with his own identity.

But I think you also ask a separate question. Why him and not the several other orange/white cats that I sought. Because he didn't come from an animal shelter.

I deeply respect the good work that they do for pets. But I equally deeply object to the clauses in the shelter adoption contracts that gives them the right to enter my house at any time and reclaim the cat at any time for any unappealable reason.

I will not accept that.

I particularly adopted Marley because he did not come from a shelter with those authoritarian clauses of retrieval.

I do understand that people who work at animal shelters are generally GREAT people. But not all shelters are equal and some abuse their authority to reclaim animals. So I avoid them all.

Sparkle the Designer Cat said...

I think the name Marley suits him well. It sounds like Iza and he are already friends, and that Ayla is slowly coming around!

Milo and Alfie Marshall said...

We love the name Marley ~ and mom loves Bob Marley's music!

Mr Puddy said...

Ah-HA !..Marley born on August 16th, I can tell you more about him !

Because that's my dad birthday and you know who else ?...Madonna...so he will love a ton of attention !!!
High Voltage !!! So Been Prepare !!!!

Brian said...

I'm glad that Marley is settling in so well, and I think that name is way cool.

I sure hope someone steps up and lets Hugo visit, he's lots of fun!

Cory said...

Marley is an awesome name and we know he will grow to become an awesome and very much loved Mancat!

We totally understand why you wanted to adopt another orange/white boy. My mom has a soft spot for Siamese and all black/Siamese mixes.

Purrs, Cory

Natalie said...

I really like the name Marley - it seems to suit the little dude. It sounds like Marley has had a lot of change in his life so far, and growing up in a shelter can't have been much fun. He's lucky to have found such a great home! And hey, if you love him a little extra because of his resemblance to Skeeter, so much the better for him :)

Millie said...

Hi TBT, We think Hugo might like to see lots of snow, so maybe he could come visit us here in New Hampster. Mom will email you.

Glad to hear Marley is fitting in.

Lynx217 said...

We'll take Hugo too! It'll make TSB post finally for us!!

Shaggy, Scooby and Scout said...

He looks like a Marley!
Ayla will come around, sounds like she is already!