Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Cats are Fascinating!

HUGO:  Really they are.  Every place I travel to has cats (and sometimes other animals) of different colors, personalities, and numbers.  I love getting to know each of them in the short time I visit.  Ayla, Iza, and now Marley are no exceptions!

One of the more fascinating things about cats is THE FRAP (I've learned that stands for Frenetic Random Activity Period) at sundown.  Now, Ayla and Iza have been rather calm since I've arrived, but I think they were just trying to keep to their best behavior for a guest.

Last night, with Marley loose in the house,  FRAP finally broke out.  The Big Thing assures me it is normal for them too.  I WAS wondering...  We all had dinner about 5 PM.  At 5:30, they all went nuts (well, not TBT, although he says he sometimes participates).   

Iza and Marley suddenly started to "wrassle".  It was all in good fun, but cats ARE pretty aggressive about it.  I assume it is a predator thing because they all seem to involve attack and chase activities.  Anyway, they wrassled very briefly and Ayla jumped OVER them, and they all seemed OK about it.  Then, all of a sudden, Ayla, Iza, and Marley were ALL charging about the house, up and down from floor to chair, to floor, to cat tree.  Then back and forth along the hallway.   And batting toy mice as they did so...

It only lasted about 10 minutes, then they were all just sitting around licking their furs.  It was sort of like the Grand Finale at a fireworks festival (I saw one of those in, um, July?).  FRAP never ceases to amaze me; QUITE impressive! 

Ayla and Iza were in the bedroom grooming each other...
 Marley rested in the TV room under some protective shelter...

Iza and Marley are getting along just great.  Ayla is not so happy.  She confided to me later that she is really very conservative and hates it when "things change".  And TBT mentioned that, when an intruder cat comes up on the deck, Iza just watches it but Ayla hisses at it.  So I guess Ayla has "issues".

I'm just glad she is fine with ME.  She is great in conversation and has a wider knowledge of the world than Iza does.  Iza, on the other leg, is very friendly and playful; the kind of friend you would be happy to just sit around with and chew riverplants by the bank.  I'm not sure about Marley yet.  He seems playful but also watchful and self-controlled.  My guess is that he will be the Alpha Cat soon.  Iza will be surprised...

Well anyway, today Ayla was using the sisal rope to scratch her claws and invited me to join her (not knowing that Iza had made the same invitation before realizing I don't have their kind of claws).  But I DO have a part that can stand some scratching...


OOOOHHH YYYEEAHHH.......

And the other end is good too...

WOW!  That stuff is better than tree bark!  I need to get some when I return home eventually.  At least most cathomes have some...

Whoa!  What's this?  TBT just put Marley in  a "PTU" (they call it) in the Noisy Machine and drove off!  I better post this and wait to see what happens...

More next time!

11 comments:

Shaggy, Scooby and Scout said...

Oh dear!
That PTU means another adventure is at hand!

We would dearly love to witness TBT FRAP-ping out!

=^..^= said...

Aaahh... butt-scratching against the cat tree... we need to try that some time!

~Slash & Bronzy

Cheysuli and gemini said...

I have to admit to hating change as well!

Jan's Funny Farm said...

Uhoh, poor Marley.

Brian said...

Oh no, I hope Marley gets to come back! Hello Hugo, we've been missing you!!!

Eric and Flynn said...

Oh yeah, The FRAP is great fun. Ours is usually at 3am and 6am. Mum particularly likes the 3am one because she shouts out encouragement to us.
We laughed at you scratching your butt on the cat tree Hugo.

Sparkle the Designer Cat said...

Hmm... I wonder where Marley has gone off to

Derby, Ducky said...

Marley probably needs a VET visit to get his shots.

The Crew said...

Ayla, I have "issues" too. Our upstairs visiting cats have been here for 7 months now and I still hiss at them when I see them. But it's getting better 'cause I used to throw a fit, then run away. Now I just throw a fit and stay in the same room.

Your friend
Misty

The Island Cats said...

Hugo, we think you saw a rousing game of THoE!!

But where did TBT and Marley go?? We can't wait to hear "the rest of the story."

Spitty-the-Kitty said...

Oh noes, I hope Marley did not have to go to the stabby place!

Hmmmm, do you really think those girls are going to let that upstart be the Alpha cat? The Human says in her experience, girls rule the roost!