Wednesday, February 23, 2011

About Ayla In Heat Again...

THE BIG THING:  Ayla was in heat again the past week.  Many of you are familiar with her odd situation, but I should explain to those who aren't.  It is not indifference on my part.  Ayla  underwent 2 spay operations in 2008 by the breeder's vet, but continues to go into heat.


My own vet (who did a fine spay operation on Iza in 2009) is unwilling to conduct secondary exploratory surgery to try to find the problem.  I accept him saying that he did not feel qualified to do that (though I think he would have been successful).  So she has been unsuccessfully spayed twice.  That makes her a rather unique cat (a uniqueness I could do without - A Siamese cat in heat is remarkably loud).  I even called a radio show vet last Summer about the problem (the response was "gee that's weird, and that's too bad".

I explored hormonal suppressants on the internet, and apparently, they are not authorized in the US (Europe allows them).

My vet suggested that I find a "Board-Certified Feline Surgeon" who might feel more qualified to do follow-up surgery.  I have found 2 within 45 miles (and an hours drive) and emailed them both in December.  Both have indicated confidence that they can successfully complete a botched spay operation.   They each want to see her when in heat for evaluation and then operate in the next cycle.

They both agree it is best to examine her when she is in heat and best to operate when she is in heat.  Unfortunately, timing was bad in Jan (her cycle fell over the weekends and/or snowstorms).  But I was able to get an appointment for evaluation today.  If not for 2 emergency surgeries, Ayla would have been operated on today.  And the vet will be away all of March.  Arghh!


On the good side, he was kind enough to hold an appointment open for the whole week he returns in hopes we catch her in heat then.  Considering that she goes into heat twice a month, the odds are good.

So it is very likely that Ayla will finally be successfully spayed in early March.  It BETTER be successful (Board Certified Feline Surgeons don't come cheap)!  Fortunately, I can afford it.  Still that's 3 years worth of her Evo canned  cat food!

More about this in March...

20 comments:

The Meezers or Billy said...

oh we hopes that it finally werks and that ALL of you get some peace! poor little Ayla

Amy and The House of Cats said...

Wow, that stinks that Ayla has to have a third surgery - just because of all the stress of the surgery itself. I have heard of that before though - I couldn't tell you why or when but I know I have heard of this at least once before - a cat that was spayed but was still going into heat. I am glad that she is able to have a third surgery to take care of the problem - though I wish she didn't have to go through it all again. We are sending you some purrs and prayers for now because we have known siamese who weren't in heat and were loud - we can only imagine what it must be like for you when it happens!

Brian said...

Poor little sweetie, I hope it all works out alright, surgery is tough. We all think that my sister Dolly is in heat, but she had been spayed so we ruled that out. Maybe she is too.

Shaggy, Scooby and Scout said...

oh Ayla darling we feel so sad for you having to endure this. We had no idea it happened twice a month!! We hope the timing works out so you can see the vet and that he will be successful for you. Oh what stress you must be under. xxxooo

Daisy said...

Oh gosh, I hope the 3rd time's a charm. Poor Ayla!

Zippy, Sadie and Speedy said...

We haf an excellent vet but he too has sent mom off to a surjun for some stuff, just because he said dey do it a lot more den he does and he felt more comfurtabul wif a speshulist doing it. Poor Ayla, it's hard enuff to go into heat but to hafta haf three surjurees to stop it. We know da Big Thing will do what ever he hasta to help yoo.

Teri and the cats of Furrydance said...

Oh Ayla...I remember when I found out that you were spayed but still cycling. I have been a vet tech since 1972 and I can only remember that happening a couple of times to kitties we saw.

Your human has worked hard to find the best surgeon for you and we hope that soon that remnant or fragment or whatever is left inside of you giving you enough hormone to 'moan' will be outta there!

Yes, Cornish Rex have Siamese in their background and when they are in heat...my nerves do get a little frayed!

The only way I can quiet them is to put them in the guest bedroom with their heated bed and then they settle down...kind of.

Your human has probably read all there is to know about ovarian remnants, hormone testing and all that and he will be very happy to have this all behind you soon...

Cheysuli and gemini said...

Good luck! That has got to have been the most frustrating thing of all. Good luck Ayla and hope that as Daisy said, that the third time is the charm!

Eric and Flynn said...

Poor Ayla, that must be frustrating for all of you. We hope the third time is successful.

Sparkle the Designer Cat said...

That sounds like such a frustrating situation! And I am sure Ayla is just as unhappy being in heat as the rest of you are having to listen to her! And yeah, being a Siamese, I bet she is rather loud! Paws crossed that things will fall into place at the next available time!

Jacqueline said...

We are purring and praying for precious Ayla to have a successful surgery soon=we know you all will be so happy when the waiting is over...Best of luck...xoxo...Calle, Halle, Sukki

The Island Cats said...

Oh we are purring that Ayla can finally have some relief!! We'll be purring for her.

Cory said...

We're sorry that our furriend Ayla has to go through another surgery and will will purr for her like crazy!

Mr Puddy said...

Poor Ayla, I hope everything works out OK. I purrs purrs for you plus paws cross.
Hugs you Big Time
xxxx
Puddy

Derby, Ducky said...

WE hopes this works finally.

Natalie said...

Wow, poor little Ayla! I can't believe that after two surgeries she still goes into heat - that's horrible! Scarlett only went into heat once and I about tore my hair out, so I can't even imagine. I hope that the feline surgeon is able to correct the problem! Sounds like it'll make everyone a lot happier!

Kitty said...

Oh boy, I have been around cats in heat and I know how loud and, franky, scary that can be. Best of luck next month! And I agree with teh radio guy, and everyone else you've talk to: bizarre.

Let's hope third time's the charm. Is that covered by cat insurance? Just curious. I imagine that it would be. Anyway, insurance or not, I'm happy that it's not putting too much of a strain on you financially to boot.

Milo and Alfie Marshall said...

I hope it works this time ~ it's very strange. I've never heard of this happening before. Poor Ayla ~ 3 surgeries when it should have been 1.

Jan
(Milo and Alfie's mom)

AFSocksScylla said...

We really hopes this works for you and especially for Ayla. We has our paws crossed and our purrs going.

The Crew said...

Poor Ayla. This can't be any fun for her either!