Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Mancat (Laundry Hamper Stuff) Monday

MARLEY:  Because we have gotten some comments about my laundry hamper napping spot recently, TBT suggested that I could explain some about that.  I was gonna title it "More Than You Cared Ta Know", but TBT said explanations should be informational and detailed...

Spitty-the-Kitty (for example) posted "Marley, Tell me TBT does not really fold his clothes and lay them neatly in the hamper? Sigh. My Human is **such** a slob"

Spitty, you can tell your Human to relax.  TBT does that because he is actually lazy.  It is EASIER for him to do his laundry that way.  In fact, there are 3 hampers.  The big one I like gets the outer furs and he has to sort those into stacks of jeans or twill pants and flannel or cotton shirts.  So there is a stack of jeans and flannel (regular cycle), and a stack of twill and cotton (permapress cycle).

But there are the other 2 hampers (plastic trash baskets actally).  One gets the socks and the other gets the underfur clothes.  See, again this is cuz he is lazy.  He got tired of pickin those small items out of the bigger pants and shirts.  Its a lot of bendin down ta get them an he is gettin all old and stiff!  And he likes ta wash the socks with the permapress twill cuz they stay more elastic at lower temperatures.  And he also likes ta put the heavy stuff at the washer bottom an the lighter stuff on top.

Im SERIOUS.  He actally plans stuff like this!  He says iffen he had been born earlier, he would of been one of those efficiency experts in a factory.  I have NO idea what he talks about sometimes...

So here's what happens:  The first laundry basket load gets all the socks dumped in it, then the light cotton shirts, then the twill pants.  The second basket load gets the flannel shirts in first, then the jeans.  The 3rd basket load gets all the underfurs from the 3rd hamper (trash basket).

The order matters.  "Small stuff in the laundry basket first" means "on top" in the washer.  He is convinced that matters for some reason.  The twill and cotton in the washer first means fewer washer an dryer setting changes which reduces wearing out the dials.  I think he wants them ta last eleventy-hundred years.

So the twill/light cotton goes through both as permapress, then the settings get changed to "regular" and he does the jeans an flannel, then the underfurs (plus anny towels and suchlike).

I am relieved to say he does NOT fold his underfurs.  In fact, he seems rather casual about his removable furs in all other ways.  They just get dumped into drawers when clean.

Oh, why do I know?  I love ta watch him do this stuff.  It is fascinating and I am taking mental notes (well, I'd write it down but there is that THUMB problem)!

And on a related note, Max said "We have a hamper but it's always closed. I think I'm missing out... 

Yes, the top has ta be left open.  Demand it!  Be firm.  Bite ankles!  Tip Buddah in ta explore first iffen ya want, but make SURE the top is open.

Sparkle the Designer Cat said: Like me! I don't have my own hamper! I demand that my human fix this sorry situation immediately!

I think evry cat should have a good hamper!  So I checked.  Check HERE  and HERE.  There are lots which you may find great to nap in!  

Derby and Ducky mentioned "We aren't into the laundry, so we just nap in our beds, on mum's bed or wherever."

We suspect that is because yer dominant Bein KEEPS THE TOP CLOSED!  Obviously, to get in one, the top has ta be open.  For some reason, that seems more likely in a guy house than a gal house.  From some careful observation when female beins are here, they like things closed.  I don't see why, but Ayla and Iza snicker about that.  So there is somethin goin on.

Cory mentioned "We have a laundry chute so all that amazing stuff is closed off behind a door and I can't get to it when I want". 

I say to get at it at the bottom.  Is it closed there?  If so, the Mom has ta remove it.  Thats yer chance ta get into it!  And look around.  There may be an opening at the bottom of the chute!

Sorry no pictures today.  TBT wanted me ta pose for some that made sense after typing all this, but I just wanted ta go nap in the hamper again.    Besides, I dont do photos after the event!


15 comments:

Megan said...

Thank you for all that information, Marley. I've gotta say that I've never heard of anyone going to so much trouble to pre-sort their dirty laundry and load it into the washing machine as TBT apparently does. I don't know whether to admire him or feel sorry for him.

Megan
Sydney, Australia

Ayla, Iza, and Marley said...

well, its HIS system, an it seems to werk. I just observed it.

Sparkle the Designer Cat said...

Wow, that sounds very complicated! My human throws everything in the same load, puts it on "cold" water and rinse. Anything that needs to be done separately goes to the cleaners because she hates doing laundry. Her boyfriend, on the other hand, pretty much does stuff the way your human does, so maybe it's a guy thing.

Lisa said...

More hampers means more places for kitties to nap! It's all good!
~Lisa Co9T

Milo and Alfie Marshall said...

TBT hasn't got OCD has he? MOL!

Ayla, Iza, and Marley said...

Obssessive Cat Disease?

ArtemisiaFSS said...

Charybdis and I used to get into the dirty laundry hampers when we were small. I only get on the clean laundry in the boy beans rooms these days. ~Scylla

I am afraid I would be mushed by all the beans dirty laundry. Mommy only separates it into towels and clothes. Sometimes she does whites by themselves and adds something called bleach that STINKS.

Very informative post Marley. ~Socks & Fenris

Brian said...

Now I'm going to have to figure out why our hamper is always closed!!!

Cheysuli and gemini said...

I don't usually use the laundry basket because I prefer it when the close are all nice and warm and freshly dried --although this does require work because then I have to put my fur back all over them!

Ginger Jasper said...

Oh my cat tha is aa lot of organising for the laundry but iof you get to put your furs on them thats the main thing. Hugs GJ x

Shaggy, Scooby and Scout said...

You sure were cute in the hamper yesterday!
We have a clothes chute too. Plop. They just land in the basement in a laundry basket.
Our mom will sort darks & lights but thats about it. It all goes in the cold wash and dries together. The bottoms of the socks wear out faster than the elastic does around here.

Derby, Ducky said...

Nope, no closed hamper. Actually it goes down a chute to the dungeon. All mushed together in one open laundery basket. That sits on a countertop. When it is time to wash, it is three piles. Sheets from the bed, towels and undies, dark stuff.

We just don't care for the laundry, dirty or clean!

The Island Cats said...

Well, thanks for sharing TBT's laundry procedures. Our mom has a hamper, but she always keeps the lid closed. But right next to it is a laundry basket for dad's clothes so we like to nap in there.

Spitty-the-Kitty said...

That was real good, Marley. But Marley! What does TBT do with his sheets and towels?

Now, the Human goes to the laundromat where there are lots of machines so she just stands there and sorts and tosses stuff into the right washer as she goes from her basket (which is all open and stuff, but I am not interested in napping on her dirty laundry.)

She doesn't feel so bad now, though, because she DOES fold her underfurs, ha ha ha!

Amy and The House of Cats said...

Hi Marley! We have missed seeing you all since mom's work got crazy! Boy, it sounds like there is a lot of planning put into the laundry at your house. We don't have a hamper with a top - ours is open all the time, so we can always get it. Mom has a bunch of different ones for sorting stuff (in theory) but usually she just shoves it all in together anyway. We think TBT is smart to have a plan to make it easier - maybe if our mom did that she wouldn't complain about doing it so much!