Friday, January 20, 2012

Mystery, Unsolved, Solved, Unsolved, and Solved Again


THE BIG THING:  We have/had a MYSTERY!  It was unsolved a month ago, solved and unsolved again a few weeks ago, but was solved again last night (which required some fast re-writing)!

When Skeeter and LC were kittens, there was this very old toy that predated them.  It may even have predated Tinkerbelle (1982-1999?), but I'm not sure.  It is ANCIENT.  It was a simple yellow plastic ball (like a plastic golf ball) that unscrewed in halves.  It had small holes in it.  You unscrewed it, put in some Nip powder (the way it came before we learned we could grow it ourselves), and the cat batted it around to sniff the Nip that fell out.  I THINK it was originally included in a box of 1980s Hartz Mountain powdered catnip!



I know I had it when I moved here in 1986 with Tinkerbelle.  She LOVED it!  But it disappeared "sometime" when Skeeter and LC were here.

When I got Iza as a kitten, she started pooping under the stairs to the basement.  The understairs were pretty much enclosed by some storage areas I built around it, a workbench, and I stored excess house supplies (like extra ceiling tiles and floorboards) in there but a cat could get in there to poop.  When I realized that, I crawled in the space to clean it up. 

Iza (she had kittenish pooping issues) had been pooping on the exposed ceiling tiles, ruining them.  So I crawled in and cleaned everything up one day, removing the soiled ceiling tiles.  I used heavy-duty staples to attach chicken wire to the workbench side, and I covered the crawl-in space opening with 2 old stereo speakers.

But as I was cleaning around in there, I spotted a small yellow shape barely visable way under the last step, through layers of spider webs covered with accumulated dust..  It was the ancient Nip Ball! 

I cleaned it, filled it, and offerred it to Iza.  It promptly disappeared again.  I looked EVERYWHERE for it for weeks.  No luck!  I thought this was the end of the story again...

And that is where this tale stood until last night!

They also have a 9 Lives orange ping pong ball with some BBs in it to make it rattle as it moves.  Also recently found again (suddenly appearring after months).  They chased it behind a curtain.  I went looking for it.  Not finding it where I expected it, I kept moving along.  To a spot I probably haven't looked at in years!  Its the 3 inches between my bookcases and the wall behind the curtains in the corner.  I've stuck a few odd items there. 

The space holds the heavy round glass turntable from a previous M/V oven (assumed to be useful for "something"), 25' of curled up siphoning tube I haven't used in years, and a pair of those interfitting circles you use to hold fabric tight to embroider on.  The place where unused "useful" things get stashed...

AND the missing refillable Nip Ball!!!  I have filled it with fresh Nip and the cats LOVE it.  I have seen it in several rooms today,  I hope it doesn't vanish again...


So that is our Mystery, now solved.  For now anyway.

14 comments:

Brian said...

That is a good one, and solved for now! I used to have one of those, long ago in a gallaxy far away!

ArtemisiaFSS said...

MOL Glad the ball is found at least for now. Of course the mystery of HOW it got there is still unsolved.

Jan's Funny Farm said...

Yep, solved for now. But before long ...

Purrfect Haven said...

hooraha mystery solved... we can afford to go to bed without turning another page in our book here... but.. we agree with those above, .... is the mystery really solved?unstria Helen, Darcy and Bingley xxx

Shaggy, Scooby and Scout said...

That first time was almost like Tinkerbelle saying "Meow" from the great beyond! It must have brought back some good memories!
And now it is there for a new generation of kitties to enjoy!

Ryker The Tonkinese said...

Maxwell: Oh that's a good one! *slaps thigh with paw* You want to hear another good one, Iza? When Faraday was a kitten, he had "issues" too. He saw papa using the --err...facilities, jumped up next to him, squatted in the sink, looked up at him and meowed "SEE! I'm just like DADDY!"

FaRADaY: *slaps paw over Maxwell's mouth* I was just a BABY. Mommy sez I was Precocious. *glares at Maxwell* Now let's get to the IMPORTANT stuff...CATNIP ROLLY BALLZ! HIGHPAW! Mommy, where's your credit card? We needs to do some internetz shopping for one!

Bogdan, the editor said...

That's one special nip ball!

Spitty-the-Kitty said...

That is a legendary tale! I think you should Name That Ball!! I mean, that's like 20 YEARS old!

Eric and Flynn said...

We are glad the mystery is solved.... until next time. We didn't know anything about nip until we started blogging.

The Island Cats said...

We have some toys like that too...they appear, disappear, appear, disappear again. It's crazy!!

Abby Normal and Stygia said...

A mystery, solved! That is SO exciting! Our Mum solved a couple mysteries like that last fall when we moved to a new place together.

Sparkle the Designer Cat said...

Our toys always disappear and then mysteriously reappear. When we had a low-to-the-ground sofa, we lost LOTS of toys under there! Nothing can hide under our current sofa now.

The Cat From Hell said...

We knows what yous means! Today, Mommy was cleaning the closet in the spare room that used to be her office in the condo. When she took out everything to pack or toss, a catnp ball we has not seen since the house before the condo rolled across the floor! Kozmo picked it up and has been playing with it all afternoon. Mommy went to put it with all the other toys that we has packed, and ther it is - GONE!
Now yous might not know this, bt us cats can slip between dimentions and we hides stuff there.
Kisses
Nellie

Oui Oui said...

Ha! Ha! That's great! How much embroidering do you do? Sorry, all joking aside, we had one of those yellow balls too. Now we are wondering what happened to it! Hartz Mountain powdered catnip! That was long before Cosmic catnip...Great little mystery.

BTW, you don't want a match up between Iza & Julie. Julie's last opponent (Mica Moo) was bitten and spent 4 days in the hospital, had 2 drainage tubes inserted in her side, was a month in isolation and on antibiotics the entire time. The vets bill was over $500, probably closer to $700.