Friday, August 10, 2012

Thursday Garden Tour On Friday

Iza:  Well we kinna fergot yesserday.  An today's isn't the usual garden tour.  But its about plants.  I suppose it is that tale of 2 plants what mean a lot to TBT.

I think he has only esplained it ta ME before, cuz I watch out fer plants here.

See this Waxy Hoya?  TBT says it was a housewarming gift.  In 1982.  His sisfur Susie gave it to him when he moved into his first house.  It was a rental, but it WAS a real house.  So that makes it 30 years old just about this moonth.  Not many plants live this long.  I guess TBT gives it ezactly the "benign neglect" it likes.
The other "meaningful" plant comes from a co-worker.   About 1990, he says.  She had it in a small jam jar and was going to toss it away.  It's still in the same jam jar.  He hasn't managed to kill IT yet, either. 


But both plants are still doing well.  Both plants get water from the fishie tank.  He says that is really good for them.  Apparently...  The pots on the sides are for the rat tails to land in an root.  And they do.  They have some ivy in there to keep them company, too

Have you got some long-lived house plant?  Will you describe it and give a back-story?


12 comments:

Brian said...

Our house plants have been with us a long, long time. The back story is that they are silk!

Sparkle the Designer Cat said...

My human can't keep houseplants alive for a few weeks, much less a few decades!

Cheysuli and gemini said...

We are in the process of digging up and killing a plant that the woman has has since her first apartment back in 1985. But you know, it's old..

Andrea and the Celestial Kitties said...

Wow, I admire that TBT could keep his plants so long! When I first got married my mother in law gave me several plants. Because of my brown thumb, none of them survived longer than 3 months.. yes, cats got a few of them, but mostly I just can't seem to keep them alive.

ABBY said...

My Grandmother passed away in 2002 I took several of her potted plants as did my Mom. I look at them and think of her as they are still thriving with me. One is a night blooming sirus, two are Easter Catcus (One is actually blooming right now, it must be confused) and some Kahloe. All of these plants are huge. She had them forever, as long as I can remember on her back porch, so they must be at least the age range of yours. I also planted in my yard a gardenia she had potted. It has taken off like crazy and each year as it blooms it makes me think of her. At least something of hers actually lives on.

xoxox

Eric and Flynn said...

We have a very old Christmas cactus. It belonged to our dad's mum and our mum says it was in the house from when she first met our dad. That was 1968 and it was big then so is probably more than 50 years old. Our mum puts it outdoors every summer for it's holiday then brings it back in early autumn.

The Island Cats said...

Our mom has some really old house plants...some are probably about 20-25 years old. One is the dieffenbachia that has been in some pictures on our blog. Mom inherited from a co-worker who was leaving and didn't want to take it with him. Our mom loves plants and she brought it home and it is doing great. Mom just keeps cutting it down when it gets too tall and it just keeps growing!!

Derby, Ducky said...

Once I moved up mum gave up on plants inside. I eat them all.

Her mum had a diffenbachia that she had for over 20 years. Had to air layer it and cut it down, but officially the same plant.

Derby.

Laura and Taffeta Rose said...

My woman has an old Christmas Cactus that was her mother's (who's been gone since Jan. 1985). She remembers seeing it for sure back in the early 60's, when she was young. It was big then, so the original plant is at least 50 years old. It flowers every year, sometimes early, sometimes late. She has made several baby (not so little any more) plants from it, so she will always have some part of it growing. Both of them were/are avid gardeners, so a plant has special meaning to her. None of us have ever bothered it.

Taffy & my woman, Laura

Spitty-the-Kitty said...

These are really, really OLD plants, Iza. Like, pre-historic! The Human is completely inept in the green thumb department, but we do have ONE houseplant, my TREE (featured on my bloggy on July 10) which the Human calls "Audrey" in honor of the plant in Little Shop of Horrors. Audrey is about 5 or 6 years old, and that's about the longest the Human has ever kept any plant alive. She has three plants in her office at school, and they were alive when she left yesterday, MOL!!

Shaggy and Scout said...

Mom has a couple old cacti's. She will do a post on them soon with your suggestion.

Alasandra, The Cats and A Dog said...

Mommy kills houseplants. For real if she brings it in the house it drops dead.