Wednesday, August 08, 2012

World Cat Day

TBT here:  I got to thinking about World Cat Day.  You know, with cats and Dad being around...  I read the blogs and see the kittehs who have had long happy lives with one Bein like me.  I see the rescue/shelter blogs where kittehs long for homes.  It tears my heart.  The hard part is when I think "could I do one more"?

For now, the household is calm and happy, and I will not change it.  Marley settled Ayla and Iza down from girlcat hissyfits, and all is good.  I am reluctant to chance disrupting a peaceful household (not being sexist, a girlcat can settle two fussing mancats too).  But peaceful is peaceful.

But there will come a day when (if I live as long as family history suggests), they will pass over the Rainbow Bridge before me and I will want more cat-companionship. 

But until then, it will be Ayla, Iza, and Marley. 

On that day, I will seek out an old cat that needs a final place to call a "forever home" for the first or last time.  And I will cherish it for the love of THAT cat, and for all older cats in general.  If it wants to live alone with me, I will do that.  If it wants a cat-companion even in old age, I will do that too.

Unless there is some unusual situation, there will be no more kittens at my house.  I'll miss that, but it is a practical matter.  I might not outlive them.  So rather than uproot a growing cat, I will help old cats the next time around.  Its not a good decision either way.  Kittens deserve homes as much as older cats do.  But I think older cats need homes, get ones fewer, and are probably feeling lost more than kittens are.  Sometimes no choices are perfect.

I suspect that giving a few older cats some safe house and loving attention at least one final time, when I am old too outlive kittens, is probably the sensible thing I can do.  It will be a while.  Ayla is oldest at 5 and I'm 62.  Marley just turned 2.  But when I am 78, Marley will be 18, and that is about the best I can hope for.  And after 78, I'll be "iffy".  It wouldn't be fair to bring a kitten into the house then, knowing it would likely outlive me.

When my mother, at age 80, and declined to get a new cat after her loved cat Jeremy died, I suggested she get a kitten, assuring her I would take it in if she couldn't care for it.  Now I understand better.

In my last thoughts, there will be many cat names to recall.  My last thought may be Skeeter.  Or perhaps Iza, one never knows.  Iza is astonishingly me-oriented and I can't say for sure which cat will be on my last breath.  But I hope it will be the thoughts of ALL the cats.  When I pass over the Bridge, I will hope to see them all.

But just maybe, there will be one I left behind and I will linger on the Bridge for, to make sure it can join me.

One never knows...

24 comments:

m.q said...

owh..TBT, what a wonderful thought. we love you...

BoBo Salem, ChaCha, Kochie, Sachi, Oren and Damak Dimetrius

Sparkle the Designer Cat said...

What an amazing post. I wish my human were as wise as you!

Father Tom said...

((Hugs)) Mark..

So well-expressed and a sentiment so touching.

This is the kind of post I want to tuck away.

Julie

The Meezers or Billy said...

what a great post TBT - and we know that you will be thinking of all the kitties and they will be there to meet you at the Bridge someday

Katie Isabella said...

I have considered those very things as well. I don't really know how old Katie is. Our (Vets)best guess is 3 but she seems younger. BUT if she outlives me for any reason, I have hopes that her human brothers will take her in. Like you expressed, if she goes to the Bridge too soon, I will look for an older cat that needs love and a home. For all the reasons you so eloquentl mentioned here in your loving thoughtful post.

I look for a meeting with all those who came before. They are still loved and remembered.

Fuzzy Tales said...

A truly lovely and thoughtful post.

Nicki and Derry are 5 (Nicki's pushing 6) and I've often thought that even though I'm "only" 48, I wouldn't adopt a kitten if I outlive the boys, I'd adopt a mature cat that needs to be an only-pet, OR adopt a bonded older pair. Or even two black cats--just someone less adoptable, for whatever reason.

I hope, though, that I outlive any animal companions. I don't have family here or anyone I would trust to take on the care of the boys (or any others), and couldn't bear to leave them to the mercy of an unknown fate.

Brian said...

That was a wonderful, wonderful post! Happy World Cat Day everyone!

Punapippuri said...

TBT, we are without words because you are just the most amazing guy. We all love you - and none of us says that often.

Random Felines said...

that was so wonderfully touching.... and what a tribute to take those animals that will need you at some point in the future. :)

Shaggy and Scout said...

You're making me cry again Mark!
I agree about the old kitties too. I think when I'm dying and about to take that last breath, everyone I've loved in this world will be there to help guide me home: may parents, my sister and all my cats and animal friends I loved in this life.

Katie Isabella said...

I'm back..filled with love and hope for all of us here. We are all the same, aren't we? How beautiful.

Andrea and the Celestial Kitties said...

Very wise words. And such a wonderful thought. Years ago, before we went on a trip in a plane, of which I'm paranoid about, I insisted we make out a will so that care for our cats would be laid out. I didn't want them to be tossed out or forgotten. Obviously we survived the plane, but this post reminds me that I should probably update that will since I have completely different cats now!

Happy World Cat Day!

ABBY said...

What a beautiful posting for World Cat Day.
I too have thought about age (mine) and possible future cats. I will always have a cat ... and I know too it is far harder to adopt older cats, so I am also choosing to go the same route.
With helping with rescue we see lots of cats, and the manx always tear at my heart. But we have the 5 and Abby is such an alpha. I cannot add more as much as I would love to ... so I will just love my little chowder and when the day comes I will seek to find an older kitty who needs a good home too.

purrs
>^,,^<
✿•*¨`*•. ♥Abby♥Boo♥Ping♥Jinx♥Grace♥✿•*¨`*•.

MISS PEACH ~(^.^)~ said...

thank you for the wonderful peom you left for Paula on the passing of her mother...it truely touched my heart.
soft hugs to you from the cozy cottage

MISS PEACH ~(^.^)~ said...

I just read your post again and wanted to tell you that you are hugged tight by me for what you wrote....I adopted Miss Peach when she was nine years old...we are looking to adopt another that is five soon. For me it will always be an older cat that I take into my heart.
Love Karla

Deven said...

You are a generous and loving man. I wish everyone were as right-thinking as I believe you are. Thank you.

The Cat From Hell said...

TBT What a great post for world Cat Day!
Mommy and one of my human brothers has a pact that if the other can't takes care of their pets then the other will. We is all socialized together (Me actually LIKES Ceasar better than Kozmo) and that is our plan. Mommy says if she did not has a boy like my human brother, she would worry.
Kisses
Nellie

The Island Cats said...

TBT, you have a kind heart...and we think it's terrific that you have thought about this and want to give an older cat a home when that time comes.

Sweet Purrfections said...

What a beautiful, thoughtful post.

Happy World Cat Day!

Cory said...

TBT, we love you! Ours has always been the home that takes in the neighborhood strays, no matter the age. Someday mom dreams of rescuing an elderly kitty, a loved baby whose owner has passed away. For now, our home is more than full and there will be no additions to our family for years to come. Purrs to all of you.

Spitty-the-Kitty said...

We luffs this post soooo much, maybe cause my Human is zacklee TBT's age. She finks some of those same thoughts, too. Happy World Cat Day TBT, Ayla, Marley and my darling Iza XOXOXOXO

Rykers Boyz n Allie said...

A truly beautiful post. Our mom is feeling that same "can I do one more" right now with a very special cat at our shelter, but she knows it won't work.

We think it's amazing that you choose to open your heart and home to older kitties some day down the line. That's an incredible, amazingly generous and loving thing...and we're so touched by this post!

Alasandra, The Cats and A Dog said...

I know how you feel I always feel guilty about not adopting another dog/cat. But while I think Fen would like a playmate he wouldn't like having to share me with another dog and I can only walk one dog at a time.

For me cats are a bit easier, but considering the fit Scylla threw when I brought Arty home I hesitate to disrupt the harmony.

But as I age I imagine it will the the older cats/dogs that I can open my home to rather then kittens and puppies. But I can't imagine my life with out a cat or dog in it.

Eric and Flynn said...

This beautiful post brought tears to my eyes. My biggest fear is of something happening to hubby and me and our boys being left behind. I dread the day they go to the Bridge, but dread going before them even more. Having said that, if we do outlive them then I would give a home to an elderly cat because I couldn't imagine living without a cat or two.