Sunday, January 20, 2013

A Mild Defense...

TBT here:  Yesterday, many cats hissed gently at me for not letting Marley or Iza bring the dead vole into the house.  I appreciate their desire that the Mews get to play with the vole inside the house.  And be sure that I love all you kitties for your mousing talents and all other ways.

In my defense, I am completely happy that the cats catch voles.  If the voles are alive (outside), I help them "not lose them" by being the "aerial surveillance" and giving the rodents a nudge when they hide too well.  I have tossed live and dead voles around to play with them (the cats).  When they sometimes lose interest in a live one, I stomp on the critters to 1) make sure they don't escape back to their burrows to raise more voles and 2) remind the cats I have a certain mousie lethality of my own.

The last time I let them bring a live rodent into the house, they managed to stuff the dead body onto a floor vent behind some drapes and it took me 2 days to find the heated rotting smelly carcass!  The vented air blew the smell all over so it took a while to locate.

In spite of that, I say let the mousie hunting continue!  Just outside...  LOL!

18 comments:

Nerissa said...

Hmmm... my peep #1 rescues the rodents from us when she can. She rescues snakes, too. MOUSES!

Eric and Flynn said...

Once when we brought a mousie in to play with, we played for ages in the kitchen and it was deaded. When mum didn't see it she thought we had eaten it. Then the nasty smell started. She hunted high and low for it and pulled out the cooker and the fridge etc but no luck. It got really bad and she pulled everything out again and this time the mouse fell out from under the fridge. It had got caught up on a little ledge underneath and she didn't see it the first time. She says you wouldn't think something so small could smell so bad.

Brian said...

Yep, outside hunting is probably the best and the smells stay out there too!

Cory said...

We don't get to hunt in the house...sigh. Just toy mousies. Those here with outdoor access must do all hunting outside. That's the rules.

The Furries of Whisppy said...

Ahhh. Now we understand why the live vole wasn't allowed indoors!

Fenris and Family said...

Mommy doesn't have your defense our air thingys are in the ceiling and she still will not let us bring them inside. We thinks she is afraid Scylla might keep them alive as pets.

Sparkle the Designer Cat said...

Well... I have to admit my human won't toss around critters with me, alive or dead. Just cat toys. She is a wuss!

Daisy said...

We agree that hunting should be an outside activity!

Mariodacat said...

Sigh, I don't get to hunt outside, and there is nothing in the house to hunt. M said she agrees with you tho - she not what them in the house - alive or deaded!

Shaggy and Scout said...

Our mom wouldn't allow a dead thing in the house. We only get live ones if they happen to sneak in somehow. We had a mousie this year but dad caught it and threw it outside.

Katnip Lounge said...

Mommy is with you, TBT--we can eat what we catch, but only outside on the Catio. And no bringing live prey in the house! Mommy has had enough of dove poop on the ceiling fans.

Pretinha said...

Tom has caught two mice and tried to bring into the house, but we managed to stop it. Tom did not like.

Derby, Ducky said...

Oh, TBT, you spoil all the fun, just so your house won't stink up.

michico*Adan said...

We also agree hunting should be outside, haha~~

Oui Oui said...

Our mom wouldn't have hissed at you cause she doesn't like live rodents in the house. Her last house had enough who found their way in in their own & that was enough for her.

Sweet Purrfections said...

Luckily, we don't go outside and no live rodents have found their way into our house. This is according to our mom.

The Cat From Hell said...

Nope! No! Na-Da!
NO LIVE rodents or birds is allowed in our house!
There has been deaded and furry stinky remains from before cats. That tookked along time to find!
Our Mommy is with you on this one!
Kisses
Nellie

Mr Puddy said...

My mom is with you too TBT !
But in general, I don't bring it in any way because I always panic when my human sis scream, I prefer outside..More Fun ; )