Saturday, October 05, 2013

An Apology To Marley

TBT:  I messed up yesterday.  As I was walking the backyard, I found a dead mouse.  It had some flies on it, so I figured it was abandoned and tossed it over the fence (to not encourage scavengers to seek food in our backyard).   I should have recognized it was a relatively fresh kill because it was still soft and flexible...

What can I say, I just wasn't thinking.  Marley came running up a few minutes later, checking the spot.  After a minute, he stared right at me accusingly.  BUSTED!  I had to confess to him I had tossed his mousie away.

I tried to go find it.  I'm usually good at finding "nature's leftovers".  But I couldn't find it.  I wasn't going to encourage Marley to go out in the front yard to look for it either.  I don't want him thinking the front yard is a good place to be.

So I called him inside and gave him extra treats.  We decided that was a fair exchange...

Sorry for no pictures, it wasn't a good camera opportunity.

12 comments:

Sparkle the Designer Cat said...

Well, I am glad you made it up to him. That was a typically bad human move!

Nerissa said...

Oh, poor Marley! You go away - MOMENTARILY - for a little pee break or to grab a nip beer and your peep steals your dinner. MOUSES!

Purrs,
Nissy

Flynn said...

Poor Marley! I bet you came running back to proudly show TBT your prize that you had caught especially for him, and what did you find? Nothing!!! I am glad you got treats to help compensate, but I think you need to make him grovel a bit for his lack of judgement.

The Furries of Whisppy said...

Poor Marley. At least TBT made up with some extra treats!

Prancer Pie said...

Well at least you gotted extra treats for your troubles.

Better luck next time, Marley!

Megan said...

I think you'll need to come up with more than a few extra treats to make it up to him properly, Mark.

Megan
Sydney, Australia

Brian said...

I agree, at least there were extra treats involved!

Sometimes, Cats Herd You said...

Oh, Marley, how frustrating. You were just saving that mouse, weren't you? When our head peep removes things we killed, she tells us that she was hungry so had to take it herself. We don't believe that line for a minute, and we're glad that TBT didn't try it on you, too.

Andrea and the Celestial Kitties said...

Treats are better than dead mousies anyway.. bleh lol

Maxwell, Faraday and Allie said...

Three of us over here are dreadfully disappointed there are no photos. The squeamish human is NOT. (*eyeroll*)

ANGEL ABBY said...

Darts Marley, well next time the dead mousie is all yours!

The Island Cats said...

Well, the treats are a poor substitute...but at least it was something. ;)