Tuesday, October 01, 2013

Tonkie Tuesday

IZA:  Well, yesserday, ya saw Marley huntin fer frogs.  Froggie-huntin is too WET fer me, so I stick with mousies.  Although, I WILL say that when Marley gets a froggie out on the lawn I dont mind givin it a few taps myself ta watch it jump.

But annyway, I was huntin mousies today.  I found a newish-lookin hole and investigated it.
I stuck a paw in an clawed around but I dint feel anything.  These mousies [TBT:  voles actually]  use mole tunnels ta move around in, so ya hafta feel down then sideways an thats a bit awkward.  Plus, its not like reachin down into a regular mousie hole where they live.  Iffen there isnt one just happenin ta walk past, yer outta luck.
So ya gotta sit real still and listen (an sniff) fer one comin along and grab in fast.
I have much better luck sittin near the holes by the trees an listenin fer rustlin leafs.  Its a lot easier when theyre above ground and making some noise.  But they dont come out of the mole tunnels much until dusk.

14 comments:

Flynn said...

I hope you catch your mousie Iza. I caught a mousie 2 days running right outside our house. Mum said I did a good job because they are looking to come in for the winter.

ANGEL ABBY said...

Iza you are a fabulous huntress! You keep gettin those mousies!

Shaggy and Scout said...

We've got vole mousies too! I almost got one a month ago, it panicked when it saw me outside its hole tried to make a run for it and got stuck under a loop of hose.It was kickkin' it's wee little feets and screaming "save me! save me!" Unfortunately mom must have heard it and lifted the hose to let it escape. What a horrible story, isn't it.

Sparkle the Designer Cat said...

Mousie hunting is hard work!

Brian said...

You sure are patient Iza but hey, I think I heard something!

Sometimes, Cats Herd You said...

We're sure you'll catch one, Iza. TBT will be so excited by it he'll forget to get us a photo, too.

Mark's Mews (Ayla, Iza, and Marley) said...

Shaggy and Scout - We are pretty sure TBT would have lifted the hose off the vole too. But in HIS case, it would have been to let us get at it or stomp the little sucker FLAT!

Although he doesn't tend to play with his food much (well when yer big ya dont HAVE too) we like his attitude...

Prancer Pie said...

Better luck next time, Iza. If you don't find one, we'll save a mole for you! MOL!

Mark's Mews (Ayla, Iza, and Marley) said...

Sometimes Cats Herd You, he DOES get pictures of us with mousies sometimes. See http://marksmews.blogspot.com/2012/12/mousie-1.html

Katie Isabella said...

Watch that you don't get your paw bitten!

Megan said...

Good luck with your hunting Iza.

Megan
Sydney, Australia

Sweet Purrfections said...

We like Katie's comment.

The Furries of Whisppy said...

You sure have great mousie hunting style!

Pretinha said...

Iza, você é uma caçadora muito experiente, desejo-lhe sorte ma caçada.