Saturday, April 16, 2016

Claws


IZA:  I have to say, in response to all the comments on my "claws" post, that we are allowed to have long sharp claws here.  TBT sometimes objects when SOMEKITTY  (*coff, Ayla, coff*) is  unner the blankies at night and dig into him a bit, or when I "reach out and touch him" as he walks past, but he is pretty tolerant.  But he has a reason, which I'll leave him to esplain...

TBT here:  Many years ago, I had my cats' front claws removed.  It didn't seem a Big Deal at the time.  And it sure made life easier.  Personally, it never seemed to bother Tinkerbelle, Skeeter, or LC.  But that was the early 90s and times change and we learn new ways of thinking. 

When I asked the vet about that 20 years ago, his only concern was that they would be mostly indoors cats so they wouldn't NEED the claws for protection.  Today, he wouldn't do it (same vet).  We live and learn...

So now I am possibly overly protective of the cats' claws.  I don't clip.  I give them many places to scratch on.  They run around outside enough too. 

But things can go too far as well.  In February, the vet clipped Ayla's claws without my permission.  He had a good reason, though.  Several of her claws were getting ingrown.  I agreed with him that that was a good idea.  I go along with whatever the vet says.  He's been taking care of my cats for 30 years now.  He cried with me when Skeeter was euthanized, and when LC went comotose in 2010 and he couldn't revive her. I trust him.

So there needs to be a balance. 

I can't do the clippies.  The Mews aren't used to me doing it, my hands aren't steady enough (a whole other story), and it would take 3 or 4 hands beyond my 2.  So every 3 months they will get it done professionally.

I admire cat's claws as a part of their essence.  I accept (painfully sometimes) that they engage me with them.  But they also accept certain sometimes painful acts by me (Iza especially gets clonked by my shoe when she follows me too closely).  We all forgive each other.  I hope...

So we are all still trying to get the balance of their desire for sharp claws and my desire not to be made to bleed too often...

Thanks for understanding.

12 comments:

Summer at sparklecat.com said...

Binga gets ingrown claws sometimes too - those are important to clip before they pierce the pawpad. That happened once with her, and she had to have her paw bandaged afterward because there was blood! You can imagine how much she did not like the bandage, or the painful ingrown claw clipping. So that's always something to keep an eye on... otherwise, the whole claw trim thing is up to the humans and their tolerance for pain (or in my case, I need them short as a show cat and - hopefully - future therapy cat). Just so long as we get to keep 'em, is all that matters.

Lone Star Cats said...

As long as dey aren't getting ingrown, the whole trimming/not trimming thing is up to da owner I think. My momma trims mine - she gets a reminder to do it when I make biscuits on her at night!

MeezerMews&FrecklesWoofs said...

Meowmy started trimming our daggers when we were teeny..so we do not like it but we just put up with it...its the dog-guy that gives her the most grief about doing a manicure/pedicure...

Megan said...

I'm never known a cat owner in Australia to have their cat's claws removed or even cut regularly. It seems quite cruel to me to have them removed. I wonder why it is common in the USA?

Megan
Sydney, Australia

The Whiskeratti said...

Those back claws are tough for just one person. I can usually only get one back paw with Leia because of the way I have to hold her. If Toby is in a relaxed mood, I can get all four of his paws. With him, I usually just get the outraged look.

Brian said...

We would never declaw a kitty, but some came here with that already done. It seems to bother them, especially in colder weather. My Dad is a very good claw clipper so he keeps mine it wonderful shape.

Terri said...

Jenna has a couple claws that will grow in a circle. I wish she would let me trim her claws. The vet always has to do it, though.

The Swiss Cats said...

Mum almost never trims our claws. "Almost", because she keeps an eye on our paws and trims our claws only if it seems to be a risk of ingrowing or really overgrowing. When we began blogging, we were shocked when we first heard of declawing, because it's strictly forbidden here in Switzerland, and looks like cruelty against animal to us. We learned then that it was usual in the US, and that many vets and bloggers learn or know, just like you, that it's a lot of useless pain for kitties. Many people in the US try to make declawing illegal and are against it, just like you now. We understood that people don't know what declawing really means, and rather than judge them, we had better to educate them to help them change their mind, like you did. Purrs

pilch92 15andmeowing said...

I admire your honesty about the declawing. I can understand that you were not aware of how bad it is ,but even in the 1990's, your vet should have known better.
I trim some of my cats claws. I feel like a pin cushion when Joanie kneads me several times a day. Prancie's would get ingrown too if I didn't do hers/ Some cats work them enough to lose that sheath and some don't.

Pretinha said...

Aqui no Brasil é proibido retirar as garras dos gatos, eu não sabia que isso era feito até entrar nos blogues. Eu concordo com você a maneira de pensar hoje é diferente de 20 anos atrás, até mesmo os veterinários tem outra visão das coisas. Por exemplo a 25 anos atrás o veterinário disse que não era preciso castrar a minha gata, hoje castração faz parte da qualidade de vida dos gatos. Sou eu quem apara as unhas dos meus 9 gatos e não é fácil! hihihi
E com certeza é preciso faze-lo, eu tenho muitos arranhões pelo corpo e eles as vezes ficam com uma das garras presa na tela.

Flynn said...

Flynn had never had his claws clipped until he became ill because he kept them short walking outdoors and climbing trees. When he was at his worst he rarely left the bed, and when he walked across the kitchen floor all I could hear was tap tap tap. They had grown surprisingly long and he also sometimes caught them in the carpet and struggled to free them. I tipped a little bit from all of them, and considering he had never had it done before, he was very good. I check them every 4-6 weeks and just take a small tip off them if he needs it, but they are still plenty long enough for him to hunt.

The Island Cats said...

The mom trims our nails. But I'm the only one that she can do all four feet. Ernie and Zoey both fight like...well, like cats...when the mom tries to trim their back claws. So she just gives up.